GI Firefighters Put Out Apartment Fire

5-1-13 - 204 Piper Street Fire

 

A mattress that caught fire and smoked up part of an apartment building kept Grand Island Firefighters and other 1st responders busy Wednesday near the 200 block of Piper Street.

 

Emergency Division Chief Tim Heimer says when firefighters arrived; smoke was coming from the 2nd floor window.

 

Heimer says, "Upon our arrival we had light smoke coming from the 2nd floor of the apartment. Crews made entry and found a mattress on fire. They extinguished it and removed the mattress."

 

Grand Island Police and Red Cross officials were also on the scene to help with the situation. No one was hurt in the blaze and the fire is under investigation. Damage estimates are unknown at this time.

Stock Market

  • ^IXIC
    4527.689
    -52.10 (-1.14%)
    NASDAQ Composite

    NASDAQ Composite

    Last trade: 4527.689
    Trade time: 4:15pm
    Change: -52.10 (-1.14%)
  • ^GSPC
    1994.29
    -16.11 (-0.80%)
    S&P 500

    S&P 500

    Last trade: 1994.29
    Trade time: 4:15pm
    Change: -16.11 (-0.80%)
  • DIA
    171.41
    -1.04 (-0.60%)
    SPDR Dow Jones In

    SPDR Dow Jones In

    Last trade: 171.41
    Trade time: 4:00pm
    Change: -1.04 (-0.60%)


Please set your location:

Central Nebraska

Grand Island/Kearney/Hastings

West Central Nebraska

Holdrege/Lexington/Kearney

South Western Nebraska

McCook/Imperial

Reset to all

Would you like to remember this location for future visits?

Yes    No

Don't ask me again